Thursday, April 16, 2009

Traumas Animations: Diarrhea


Of all the "Top 10 Traumas on the Trail" animations I made at FableVision for the Denver Museum of Nature & Science, this one was definitely a crowd-pleaser. You'll understand why when you watch below—note that load time may be a bit slow because we're at animation capacity right now, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
(visit my blog if you are viewing in Google Reader)

Diarrhea

Watch in full resolution.

That final note knocks'em dead every time. Adults, even! Fart sounds and learning go hand in hand, right? Everyone seemed to fall in love with this little guy, too: the giardia cell.


To think that he could be responsible for your gastrointestinal pain. I went into the project planning to create characters that would be appealing and easy to animate, thus the simple design.

I'll highlight the title slate, because it's my favorite of the group. I was going for a putrid urine yellow to punch up the ick factor as much as possible—considering this is just a stream (an infected stream, mind you).


This is one of the many digital paintings I made using ArtRage. The character and title were added in Flash. I should mention again that Sherm Cohen is the guy who first turned me on to ArtRage. He's been posting a series of great tutorials over at his blog. I highly recommend it as a painting app, because it is incredibly intuitive to use and cheap. I used it in combination with hand-painted watercolor spatters to create all the background art in the series. I believe this long intestine shot was one of the first I painted, previously mentioned here.


Once again, I handled design, storyboarding, and layout—Allie Biondi on animation. Also, Tony Lechner did all the sound design and music for these animations. With a message slightly contrary to the Dehydration animation, here's a case where you don't want to drink the water. Keep that in mind the next time you're on a hike.

11 comments:

Jason Curtis said...

Diarrhea has never been more fun!

I almost feel sorry for the little parasites though, they looked like they were having such a good time.

Again, I love the simplicity of the characters...and the background...and the music...and the sound effects...

...ah heck, I like it all. Great stuff.

Honolulu Dogfight said...

Great stuff Bob. I don't think I had seen this one before, looks great.

Keith Zoo said...

I agree with Jason, diarrhea looks like a blast!

I gotta say Bob, seeing these animations up close in the touchscreen REALLY look amazing.

David DeGrand said...

An instant classic! The poor cute lil' parasites, how dare our bodies flush them out and ruin their fun (and ours)!? Awesome backgrounds and character designs as always.

Bob Flynn said...

Thanks, guys! Simple little animation, but it was fun to design. Glad you liked it!

Mike Rauch said...

Deliciously fun, disgusting, and cool all at the same time!

Chris Houghton said...

Diarrhea's terrible... But this is GREAT!

KristyD said...

This is a subject that will always be funny. Good thing I'm so mature... being a teacher and all.

KristyD said...

Oh, and... nice job, btw. :)

Duncan Barton said...

Hi, just found your blog- great work and amazing flash work... I'll be checking back to see what you do next and thanks for sharing!

GRANDES ÉXITOS said...

YOUR WORK IS AMAZING,