Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Traumas Animations: Dehydration


Here's another short animation from the "Top 10 Traumas on the Trail" series I created with my talented crew at FableVision. This one features a thirsty body cell in a desperate search for a drink of water. Watch the animation below. (visit my blog if you are viewing in Google Reader)

Dehydration

Watch in full resolution.

In case you missed it, here's a still of the painted close-up.


All done in ArtRage, mind you. If you know me, you know this humor is right up my alley. I have this weird tendency to enjoy stringing along a character by giving them a glimpse (delusion) of hope. Is that so wrong? Our client actually encouraged us to end it where we did, too. Ha! Man, sometimes the right projects land right in your lap. Best of all, the message stays with you. Drink a lot of water when you're hiking, or you'll end up like this guy...

Again, this animation is featured in one of the many outstanding interactive activities at the Expedition Health exhibit at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science which is now open to the public. Be sure to look for it if you're a local!

7 comments:

Jason Curtis said...

Awesome. I love when the little cell looks at his watch, that cracks me up for some reason!

The painted close up is incredible...I get thirsty just looking at that poor guy.

Okay, time for a glass of water...

Chris Houghton said...

Geesh, I'm thirsty. Wonderful work Bob!

David DeGrand said...

Man I really envy your job! You gave thirsty a new definition with that close up! Awesome work as always, looks like a really fun assignment.

Bob Flynn said...

Hey fellas. Mission accomplished then (gross-out, make thirsty). This definitely ranks as one of the best things a paying client has allowed me to do...short, but fun.

I put the close-up in my boards: this will be a painted gross close-up. And it made it through. I thought to myself...interesting. Then I started painting it in the studio...got the expected, "Oh Bob, that's horrible" from my co-workers. But our executive producer was "that's great!" I kept passing the test, and upon delivery of the animation, no negative comments about the painting. Amazing.

I would love to hear the kids laughing and going "eewwwwwwwwww..."

Jason Curtis said...

The kids will freakin' love it Bob! They'll laugh and they'll learn...what a great combo.

I have always been a visual learner, and I swear my grades would have been a lot higher if all my text books had been animated! Ha!

Uncle Phil said...

killer stuff on your blog.. i intend to be a regular

Bob Flynn said...

That's basically our goal over at FableVision, Chris! To incorporate storytelling and creativity into the learning process.

Glad to have you over in these parts, Phil!