Wednesday, September 16, 2009

SpongeClops!


The October 2009 issue of Nick Magazine is about to hit newsstands (if you're lucky, it may have already!). When you pick it up, the first thing you'll notice is that this is practically an ALL COMICS ISSUE. I only noticed one ad, that's how full it is. I'm told that in these remaining months the magazine will be jammed full of comics, so that's at least something to look forward to. There is a ton of talent and cartooning on display in this issue, including comics by Corey Barba, Dan Moynihan, Gahan Wilson and Graham Annable. You would be a fool not to snatch it up, so be on the look-out.

Now, if you turn to page 3 you'll see my third published SpongeBob comic, "SpongeClops!"


I wrote this comic almost a year ago, so I've been sitting on it for some time. Of the bunch I've worked on so far, it's probably my favorite. Mainly because it features Plankton and one of his evil schemes to get at the krabby patty formula. Plus it's one of the few I penned myself—it has a good amount of dialogue. I scanned it directly from the magazine because I don't have a digital copy with the speech balloons. It's 4 pages in 3 images (below), as it appears in the magazine.






(note: Blogger has a tendency to overcrunch jpegs, so hop over to my Flickr page if you want to see them sharper.)

I have to admit, when I pitched the idea I wasn't sure if I was even allowed to monkey with the features of the characters. But they went for it! By the time I had finished the comic, they were actually beginning to look normal this way.

Below are my pencils:





And here are my inks
(this is the final stage before I hand it off to Wes Dzioba to color)





I hope kids especially get a kick out of this comic (and of course, you too!)

I'm working on what will undoubtedly be my last comic for Nick Mag right now. So, one more to go!

9 comments:

Mike Rauch said...

I'm definitely gonna check for this at the store. Looks fun!

Chris Houghton said...

Brilliant stuff man!

Hannah O'Neal said...

Holy Crap Bob! Great job on this! I must have a copy...If only I could also find a copy of the July 09 huh?

Bob Flynn said...

Great to hear, and thanks everyone!
The July issue was a good one—especially the poster it came with ;)

Jason Curtis said...

I'll keep my eye out for this issue...get it...eye...cyclops...why am I the only one laughing?

Anyway, outstanding artwork Mr. Bob (both the finished piece as well as the original pencil sketches).

I didn't read the text because I want to enjoy the story when I buy the magazine.

You're really going to miss contributing to Nick I bet.

Dan Moynihan said...

Hey Bob,
Thanks for your note on Flickr - glad you enjoyed Structo! It was great to see your Sponge Bob comic in there too. Too bad it's all coming to an end!

Louise Smythe said...

my buddy and i bought this the other night at the grocery store while taking a break from 100 figures. we showed it off to Doug yesterday. way to go, bob!

Bob Flynn said...

I finished my last SB comic a week ago, and yes...I'll certainly miss all of this. Thanks for picking up the magazine, folks.

R.Dress said...

Great Job!!!