Thursday, June 01, 2006

Don't lose your lunch


Looking for a fun project to kill time in a slow summer month of 2001, I found this tin lunch box, and thought it would be fun to paint something special for my girlfriend, Loren. At the time I was really into carnival themes, which peaked when I created Jinx the Monkey. It was also about the time when I was embracing cartoons again, after having it beaten out of me in art school. The lighting is really yellow, so the colors are super saturated in this photo. Below is a shot of the back side:


Kind of funny how there is a monkey here as well. An earlier Jinx, perhaps? It's crazy to think this dates almost 5 years now.

2 comments:

moontoon said...

What medium did you use for the lunch box? I'd be too afraid to use it in case the art scratched off. Did you protect it with polyurethane or something?

Alex

Bob Flynn said...

Hi Alex,

Sorry, didn't notice your comment until now. I sort of did it the "wrong" way, bit it's still in good shape 5 years later. First, I sanded the surface of the lunchbox to give it some tooth. Then, I went over the entire box with a couples layers of acrylic gel medium. And then I painted it with acrylic. I never sealed it, though I probably should have. I've actually been afraid that its going to rust. I think enamel paints work better for this kind of thing.

I'm sure you could find a website that shows you how to do it, properly.